Cooking with kids does not have to be fancy or complicated. Making butter is one of the easiest and best ways to get kids involved and excited about seeing a simple technique to make something we use all the time. We also did this at our Dirt to Dine camp with 30 very excited kids, and they were amazed at the outcome. For this post we just did this in the yard in our jammies!
2. Fill a jar halfway with heavy cream and a pinch of salt and screw the lid on tight.
3. Shake the jar up, down and sideways until the cream thickens and begins to stick together. You may have to help your kids, this can get tiring.
4. The cream will continue to gather into a ball when it is a ball in liquid it is done.
6. Rinse, rinse, rinse your butter it will help it not go sour. Hold the strainer under running water until it runs clear.
7. Put the butter on a board and mash it with a flat wooden spoon or Gnocchi paddle to get out the excess water.
8. Cover and chill.