3/31/09

Toddler Café Tuesday - Is Your Kid a Sourpuss?

Well, It has been a while since my last post and I am feeling a bit of bloggy guilt! I am back with a new column, Toddler Café Tuesdays. Our book has been out about a year now and I thought it was time to start sharing more of the recipes with you. For my first one I am going to share  a very easy recipe that at first glance is "just pasta," but wait.... The reason for this recipe is to get your kids used to flavors that are different from the usual ones they may be used to.  As they grow their tastes should grow too, this is a good start to expanding their taste buds.  The whole point of Toddler Café is to get creative you can use this recipe as a base for a million variations.

I love to add zucchini or wilted fresh spinach to this dish.  Now they will know lemons aren't just for sweets!  


Pucker up Psghetti 
If your child takes the lemon out of your water and sucks on them when you are at a restaurant then they will love this recipe. This recipe is based on something kids love, spaghetti but with a twist light and slightly tangy. A great dish in Summer or Winter serve room temperature or warm.
Makes 4 servings
(I always use kosher salt it has 1/2 the saltyness of table salt)

Zest of 1/2 of a lemon
1/8 cup Fresh lemon juice, about two lemons
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and extra for garnish
1/2-teaspoon salt
1/2 lb cooked spaghetti, warm
Zest lemon in to a large bowl, whisk in lemon juice, olive oil, cheese, and salt into a bowl.
Add spaghetti and toss to coat. Serve warm.

Try adding
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed. White beans or grated raw zucchini.
Substitute Soba, Udon Noodles or spinach pasta.

Tell them it is a bowl of worms and try to slurp them before they slither out of the bowl.

Let them sprinkle the cheese on themselves to keep them interested.









Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Genevieve Llerena said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. My daughter is big into sour flavors right now. She keeps trying to get me to make a lemon and sour grass combo. I think lemon and pasta is more my speed. Thanks

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite pasta. I had some earlier today! I cook it and drain. Then, right in the pot go extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, lemon pepper and some pepper flake and minced garlic. Stir it all around on high until the liquid is absorbed and toss in grated parm.

I must be the oldest toddler on the Face of the Planet!

Mom 2 Four said...

This was great, I made it for lunch today, the little ones loved it. Next time I will try it with grilled chicken.

kristen said...

we loved this, including my picky toddler! it was too salty for my taste. i wish i would have halved the salt (at least) and then salted to taste. otherwise excellent :) and love this blog!

Jennifer Carden said...

Thanks Kristen I realized that the salt measurement was for salting the pasta water. Please accept my apology....I have since changed it.