4/3/09

Georgia O’Keeffe in Milk?



[Photos taken with my phone....sorry about the bad quality]

What am I talking about, you ask? I hate to stray away from food because this is The Toddler Cafe you know, but this was so fun I just have to share. Lately my husband

and I have been doing projects with our daughter, simple stuff from home school websites.
The other day on a whim I found this project, Color Changing Milk. I thought well, it is made with food so therefore I can put it on my blog! The project itself is very easy and fun, but I warn you it will only work once or twice and your child will want to keep doing it. I say this because you may have to use a lot of milk, could get expensive.
Who knew that milk and food coloring could produce such amazing and beautiful images I was shocked by the colors. I kept saying wow that looks like and O'Keeffe and I'd explain to kidlet what her paintings look like. She thought latter ones looked like Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night, I was amazed she remembered that.
Here are a few shots of our milk paintings at the start:









It turns out that when we went to open house for her kindergarten we learned that they had been learning about O'Keeffe. Each student had copied one of her flowers, our daughter was absent on the day of the project so she never got to learn about O'Keeffe. I turned to her and said, "remember you made on at home in milk, I bet no one else made one out of milk." She smiled!
We learned that we can be in the kitchen and use food to make art with! We also learned that we can use up passed date milk by making cool temporary paintings!!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It is so much fun to play with food! We made natural dyes the other day and used them to dye our eggs for Easter / Passover!

Anonymous said...

What a great project. I'll have to file it away as a must try the next time the kids are here!

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Wow! That is cool, we'll have to try it.

The first is definitely O'Keefe, but the second almost looks like Starry Night by Van Gogh.