1/29/09

Freaky Friday


Welcome to Freaky Friday. I happen to be the lucky owner of a set of recipe cards from 1973, a lot of recipe cards, and most of them are a bit freaky! I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and possible ways to update these recipes. Some cards are just too far gone and can't be fixed but hopefully, at least I can get you laughing. Now don't be afraid because some of these recipe cards have a good foundation for creative recipe ideas. We have come a long way baby...


Oh, card # 20 you are so ugly. I am failing to see anything perfect or Rosy about this "salad," actually I give it a big YUCK!!
Really people, Jello and cabbage how is that going to feel in your mouth?  Again Yuck!
I was going to post this on Halloween because I thought it looked like a brain!  I do love cabbage and was determined to get my daughter (and husband) to love it.  This would not be my recipe of choice to introduce a strong  flavored veggie to my loved ones.

Rosy Perfection Salad
1973:
Old School
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 c cold water
Artificial sweetener to equal 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
2 c finely shredded red cabbage
1 c chopped celery
1 tbs chopped pimiento
Parsley to garnish




2009:
Update Suggestions...

If you want Jello just put some fruit in it and forget the veggies.

Or...

Hide cabbage in egg rolls
Add to lo mein or fried rice
Mix into pot stickers
Make coleslaw
Top brothy soup with some raw cabbage
Sauté shredded cabbage in olive oil until just wilted. Season with extra virgin olive oil and salt.
Mix with lettuce and top tacos


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: