5/3/09

Toddler Café Tuesday - Where Glop Tastes Good!




It's Toddler Café Tuesday. Our book has been out about a year now and I thought it was time to start sharing more of the recipes with you, my loyal readers. If you read my blog you know I love to use up the stragglers in my pantry and fridge. This recipe is no exception, have a forgotten fruit cup hanging around? This recipe is so simple and it is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies.

Tropical Glop

Dips are fun and interactive for toddlers. They can scoop it up with cut pieces of veggies and fruit or spread it onto slices of bread.

Makes 1 1/2 cups

8 ounces cream cheese

One 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained

Two 4-ounce fruit cups, tropical or peach, drained

1/2 cup diced or shredded carrots

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 cup toasted unsweetened desiccated coconut

Place the cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 20 seconds to soften. Add the fruit, carrots, and salt to the bowl and use a stick blender to blend for 2 minutes, or until combined.

To toast the coconut, place it in a dry sauté pan on medium heat and watch closely. When you see it starting to turn light brown, stir the coconut around constantly to brown the rest evenly. Then pour it onto a plate to stop cooking.

Sprinkle the dip with the toasted coconut. Serve with apple slices, carrot, celery, or pretzel sticks.

Toddler Tip:

Have your child “draw” shapes on their plate using the veggie as a pen and the dip as the ink.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

botfish said...

I just received your book that I ordered on BarnesandNoble.com and I cannot say enough how much I love it. It is easy to read and I appreciate all of the photos of most of the recipes. Pictures of food are so important. I am really looking forward to trying most with my kids. Any chance for another book?

Jennifer Carden said...

botfish...thanks for the comment. I am working on another project and when it is final I will be be sure to let you know!