8/3/10

Why Freeze a Peach in Summer?


I'll tell you why, because it makes the best summer treat! Last summer I was testing out my Food Saver machine and froze a bunch of fresh peach halves. The intention was to save them and use them during the winter when we so needed some sunny summer fruit. Well, time flies and the food in second freezers gets forgotten. In our case I kept thinking I'd use them but it never happened. I had nice ideas of throwing them on the grill with some fish in the grey rainy season to perk up our moods. Now we are in the height of peach season and I don't really need to be using frozen ones but after this little experiment we are hooked.

One day when Claire had a few friends over I was looking for a fun snack and I remembered about the lost peaches that time forgot. I took them out of the freezer and with a big chefs knife sliced them thinly into a beautiful bowl of frozen peach curls. They were gobbled up instantly with the little ones asking for more. Well. then I got smart...that shaved ice machine I have could be the answer. It is basically a snow cone maker and I am always trying to think of a great way to make healthy snow cones. Bingo! I cut up the peaches, turned the machine on and the rest is history. Perfect slices of frozen sunshine. Now we have to keep peaches and an assortment of other stone fruit in the freezer all year for our healthy quick treat.

The good news is that after one year the peaches were perfect, no freezer burn, and no taste issues. Remember to use your noggin and get creative!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Alex Evelyn said...

wow, delicious, what a great way of getting a great summer taste in the middle of winter. Definitley going to try this.