7/18/11

Pickled Carrots or Carrot Pickles?


"Mom, I'd like to make some pickles but from carrots. What would we call them, pickled carrots or carrot pickles?"

I have been in the kitchen every second of every spare minute working on styling recipes for a cookbook with my husband the photographer. I have made, cookies, fudge, omelets, shakes, scones, pretty much everything you can imagine. Somehow in between the recipes for the project and meals for my family (and not to mention I'm running a full time cooking camp for 3 weeks!) I am cooking with my daughter. We are making Popsicles in our Zoku, pies, hand ground corn tortillas, eggs, grilled cheese on a stick,  pickles...you get the point. I love what I do don't get me wrong but summer is tough when the kids are out of school and schedules are out of whack.
She has always loved my food but I have been waiting for her to blossom as a little chef and it happened. The timing is all-wrong, I mean really kid, couldn't you wait until I wasn't so busy? The answer is is that it doesn't matter, I will always be busy and I HAD to take advantage of this NOW! Her taste buds are hopping and her little brain is churning with ideas, it's my job to facilitate that. If my kid wants to try onions I sure as hell am going to help her with that! Tonight she made a pie that was so delicious I was in awe. Sure I help her, give her tips and even chop ingredients but I am really trying to let her drive, really trying. as she gets more comfortable with the equipment I will just sit in the passenger seat and try not to use the invisible brake.

Sweet Pickled Carrots 

Getting kids to eat acidic foods or foods with any flavor can be a challenge but if  THEY make this recipe they may change their mind!  This is a great kid friendly base recipe for pickling veggies, let them add a variety of veggies or other herbs and spices to experiment.
Great on tacos!!


 

Makes about 8 cups

Ingredients :

    2 pounds organic carrots, 1/8" slices
    1 medium onion, finely sliced half moons
    2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
    2 cups water
    3/4 cup vinegar of your choice (recommend 1 part rice vinegar and 2 parts ume plum vinegar)
    ¾  or up to 1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Directions:

1. Blanch carrots in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Place carrots, onions and garlic in two 3 cup glass jars or bowl with a cover.

2. Meanwhile, add water, vinegar(s), sugar and salt to a saucepan over high heat.  Bring to a boil and ensure sugar has been completely dissolved.

3.  Pour hot liquid over vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, cover and store in refrigerator.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Lucas Kain said...

Nice!! If you visit my cellar, you will find that I already have several jars following your recipe! Thank you so much, always nice to try new stuff. :)

___
Cheap international calls

snow white costume toddler said...

Haha, the title reminds me so much of "chocolate milk" or "milk chocolate" debates among my toddler students.

Anka High Chair said...

Thanks a lot for these recipes. Would love to prepare them for my family!

Unknown said...

i was curious, can this be made without blanching the carrots first? esp if i try pouring the liquid on them at super boiling hot temp? just wondering if i could cut out a step, or if won't work. ;) thanks!

Jennifer Carden said...

Thanks for all your comments! Yes you can skip the cooking part, just chop them up small. It will be more of a relish but it is just as yummy crunchy!! Great for adding to salads to boost flavor.

Unknown said...

great, thanks!