11/18/08

EXTRA EXTRA! “Fairy Dust Found on Bed Post!”




I knew this day would come, the one where my daughter says, “look mom, my tooth is hanging out.” First off…ewe! The whole tooth falling out thing really freaks me out.
I have never had a good relationship with my teeth or the dentist for that matter.
The next day she came home with an over sized plastic tooth around her neck and inside was her real tooth. It is a little thing, like some old shell you might find in the sand on a beach.
My first thought was, yikes, she is not a baby anymore.
The second was, what the hell is the tooth fairy supposed leave her?
And the third was a memory of a friend telling me that one time she forgot to leave something from the tooth fairy for her child, she felt terrible of course.
My goal was not to forget to leave something.

The day was fading; my husband and I had not rehearsed this event yet so we were mouthing ideas back and forth during dinner. He had a great idea for a charm bracelet. With each tooth she would get a charm to attach to the bracelet, but it was 7pm and there was nowhere to get that, although it was a good idea. We had to think of something special, we ended up giving her 2 bucks and a pin (more of a broach) of mine of van Gogh’s Starry Starry Night. We wanted to put it in a little satin bag but we thought she may recognize it and then figure out that it was us all along. After much debate we decided on a baggie. It was like a silly sitcom, us runing around trying to decide on what to do, it was pretty funny. We slipped the tooth out and placed the new goodies under her pillow.
The best part is that I sprinkled “fairy dust” all over the bedpost so when she woke up she saw it.
In the morning she was delighted to see the gifts under her pillow. I told her the fairy must have landed there to rest and the dust came off her wings. The fairy dust was the icing on the cake, but really it was just edible cake glitter!
My husband thinks she knows it is us leaving the gifts, but is just going along with the whole song and dance because we are having such a good time with it!


Here is my recipe for 


Fairy Dust Snack Mix

Edible glitter- fine (get at baking supply or craft store)

Use up all your leftover:
Cereal
Pretzels
Dried fruit (we love coconut)
and whatever else you need to use up

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, sprinkle in glitter and toss until you get the desired effect. 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Such a simple, wonderful idea! I'll have to get some glitter and play a little!

I'm on a big sprinkles kick right now--they have such cute ones for the holidays. Maybe I will toss a few into the Fairy Dust Snack Mix...

The charm bracelet is a great idea if you have the time to prepare, but it sounds like you both improvised very well. We have a few years before our son will be getting Tooth Fairy visits so maybe we can come up with something creative for him, too.

What a great post! Thank you so much for sharing!

Jessica R. said...

WOW you're setting the bar high! I remember as a kid feeling lucky if my mom remembered after three nights. (and only after we dropped some serious hints!)

LOVE the fairy dust idea!

Sarah said...

Oooh, this looks great for my nieces upcoming fairy birthday party! Great idea!

When I was a kid my parents never forgot to get the tooth fairy to visit. I always got $2. By the time my little brother started losing his teeth the price of teeth had skyrocketed and he got $5 at our house and $5 at my grandparents' from a DIFFERENT tooth fairy. I was not amused.